Tuesday, February 3

I am sooo slack...

But you have probably figured that out for yourself.

If I haven't been blogging much lately it is because I have been so boring, very little has happened, and I have been doing very little. Totally slacking off.

A friend stopped by for a one night stop-over the weekend of Chinese New Year. I met him at Changi Airport and we caught the bus back to my place. I had just gotten a bed given to me the week before, and that very day my air mattress sprang a leak that I cannot locate, so I also looked around for a mattress and bought one online for only $159.

So my guest had a bed and a room for himself, and I have a more comfortable mattress than the blow up one now. And also the bed, so I have some variety, yah, just the most important thing in my life right now. Not. Anyhow, Fredrick and I had a long chat and he did some email stuff through my laptop, and then first thing in the morning we caught the bus back to Changi for his flight out.

It was fun, actually having someone visit me from Australia, even if it was such a quick stop.

But the point was established that he could transit Singapore without being arrested. Oh yeah, I didn't mention that part, did I? Germany has an arrest warrant out for him for thought crimes. Something about what he did in Australia, as an Australian citizen, that is legal in Australia, but has Germany seeking to gaol him. You might think all very well for Germany to decide that they didn't want to let him enter Germany if they don't like what he says, but to seek to get other countries to arrest him and extradite him to Germany for imprisonment is a bit much. Still, he got hauled off a plane at Heathrow (England), but the English court decided that it wanted to play no part in Germany's internal political oppression. Most countries that do this sort of thing to political opponents are excommunicated from civilised society.

Which is why he didn't have his own laptop with him, he was concerned that the information on it would be used by the German authorities. But now that we have proven that Singapore is a civilised and free nation he will undoubtedly travel with said laptop next time. Also hopefully he will book a longer stop over next time, maybe a day or two so he can have a chance to see some of the sights. Still, we had a long chat and I explained how SG is a one party fascist state, and he said but isn't that a good thing, doesn't it make things work? and I said yes, it is a great thing and I am convinced that this is why Singapore functions so well. And face it, it is a democracy, if the majority of the citizens weren't in agreement then they would vote for someone else. But we discussed how the PAP symbol looks just like that of the old British Union of Fascists and how their policies all look like direct lifts from Mosely, and I gave all sorts of examples such as the strength through joy type of events that were held. And then he was off to attend a conference in Tehran via KL.

I am truly of the opinion that SG is a much safer and freer country than Australia. Although obviously Australia is a freer nation than Germany, still I feel more politically free in SG than AU, and it is one of the reasons that I chose to come here. Maybe third or fourth after the better run economy and the better social policies, and I was hoping the better career opportunities but that one still has to prove itself for me.

No comments: