Friday, March 6

Steam is Still Evil

The problems of the previous entry are continuing. Namely steam is not connecting to its server and so I can't play half of my games. Add to this that I bought Dawn of War 2 this arvo and it turns out to be chained to steam as well, it won't even start the install process until it makes a connection to a steam server.

Naturally there has been no response from valve yet; it is only one day, they need several weeks to get their heads out of their arses and reply to anything. So I searched the forums; lots of people have the same issues and most are complaining that valve does not bother responding, let alone fixing the problem. I read through four threads on similar sorts of issues, all were full of these three things; lots of people complaining that steam wasn't working and that valve was not responding, lots of people offering solutions, lots of people saying that they had tried those solutions and they did not fix the problem. Yes, it is true that some people were saying thanks and the prob was fixed for them, but more were in the negative. And yes, I did try all the solutions offered, none worked for me.

Nowhere on either the Fear 2 or Dawn of War 2 boxes did it state that the game would be locked to making an online connection to a steam server. In other words I was sold two games uninformed of the high risk that they would not play. And, as it turns out, neither of them will play, and this problem apparently exists for many people and has been in existence since early 2007 and is still unresolved.

Now for the bits that would be funny if they weren't so infuriating.

Steampowered.com wouldn't let me log on, it said that my password and username did not match what was in their database, this after being logged on this morning. Every time that I log a problem with steam it locks out my password.

I logged on with a second account that I keep just for when it does this. It used to be that you could not report that your password was buggered and needed resetting without logging on - that is how stupid the staff at valve are. I opened my issues list and it seems that valve have connected my two logons, I could access the list for my other logon.

I searched and read the forums then tried to post. Strangely being logged on to steampowered does not mean that you are logged into the forums which run in steampowered. I could not logon, it would not accept either of my logons. I tried to make a new logon just to get into the forums to comment on needing a second logon to get into steampowered because steam had locked out my main logon. It would not let me open a new account.

No comments: