Thursday, September 11

Wednesday, bloody Wednesday

Yes, I skipped a day. I had a migraine last night, too much time in the city.

A busy day. Started with the court case, the property owner represented himself and the judge (a justice really, since the value of the case was over $100,000 it was heard in the Supreme Court) therefore had to spend most of his time guiding the defendant through what he had to do. Result; the judge very generously gave the defendant 35 days to meet the mortgage requirements.

The result from my perspective is that my six weeks notice will run its course, meaning I have to pay the rent until the 6th of October (my birthday, coincidentally). So I am a little less stressed for time. But to make up for that...

I had a call as I walked out of the court precinct, a previous client wanting to know if I am available for two or three weeks. So I said yes, with limitations. They have restructured the company, and need to rebuild their reporting capability to handle this. It sounds pretty easy, working with Business Objects Planning. The guy they have for that (who I trained) is on long planned holidays, long planned, so they knew he was unavailable and should have scheduled this work in advance.

More to help out an acquaintance than because I need the money I accepted.

The rates okay; I haven't broken the three digit barrier yet.
The three digit barrier is a big psychological divide between 'contracting' and 'consulting'; $100 or more per hour.
The four digit barrier is an even greater milepost; $1,000 dollars or more per day.
I'm not quite there yet, but I am bumping against the envelope.

Then a visit to the last place I contracted to return some books lent to me by someone there and to hand in my security card.

Then lunch with the delightful lady from Oracle. Naturally she was full of questions focussed on deals she is hunting and I had to step very carefully around confidentiality issues. She had done some analysis of past expenditure to forecast future project budgets for some large players, and she was surprisingly close with what I know of some of those plans. I was very impressed. We ate at Farina's, the vegetarian selection was perhaps a little on the short side, but they had a special on the nine inch pizzas and I chose the margherita which came with buffalo mozzarella.
Oh!! Buffalo cheese is so delicious!
Yes, it is cheese made from the milk from buffalos.
It is not like 'buffalo wings'.

Then off to my favourite comic shop to see if I had anything in.
Most of my orders there are manga, but I am getting back into American comics. Marvel mostly, some Dark Horse, I am not into DC.

By then I had a migraine coming on, so straight home and a quick something to eat to put food in my stomach before taking a few pills and then to try and sleep in a dark and quiet room.

So now I have today, tomorrow and the two days of the weekend to get as much hard and heavy furniture into the shipping container before I start working on Monday. I will then have the weekends to put light stuff in and then have the first week in October to finish things and be out.

I think it can be done, but it will be pushing me.

Today we have loaded the mattress, which is probably the hardest thing as it is a king-sized, very thick, latex thing with a folded silk layer on top. It is very heavy and very cumbersome.
But it is also in there now!

I am using tables either side to hold it up. Disassembled, so I am actually using the table tops.

The lounge suite is next. Two separate recliners, one recliner not separate (i.e. part of the connect-a-set), a chaise, a corner unit, a one seater and a two seater (these five units all click together), and a three-seater ottoman that I had made with the same fabric.

I will actually leave the two recliners for last, so we have comfortable seats.
But the rest of the lounge suite should be able to be in tomorrow.

Then there are the six bedroom cabinets that go with the bed. Dressing table with drawers and mirror, two tall boys, two bedside cabinets, and a lingerie cabinet. This whole set is in baltic pine, with blonde highlights selected to match the natural hair colour of a girl I was besotted with at the time and who broke off our relationship a month later. This is Saturdays job.

Last are the computer desk that I am sitting at right now, and the fridge, clothes washer, and dryer. And my gym set on the patio. This is Sundays job.

Then I should be left with an inflated mattress and two suitcases.

I do not think that this is unachievable.
Therefore I have a viable plan.

No comments: