Wednesday, April 1

Back in the Saddle

Been up and about again for a couple of days.
Getting used to walking again. Had to go shopping of course - I had eaten the house out. Half way through my cold I ordered in pizzas, 2 for 1, large. That did me for breakfast and dinner for three days.

I had some very sad moments whilst so sick and feeling sorry for myself.
Like about how I turned down a $1,000 a day contract for a year to come here and chase a dream and now I have wasted six months of my life. Friends say "think about the experiences you have gained" etc., etc. But I don't think they really needed six months to live through, maybe an extended holiday would have covered that part.

At least some agencies are sending me jobs now and asking me to apply for them if I feel that they suit me. But they never mention the pay, and only tell me after I ask them that they are offering less than half what I got in Oz.


According to the MSN page when I drop out of msgr SG is launching some 'be nice' campaign. Or be considerate. Hah hah, what a joke. I have had six neighbours in my short time here and five of them were (two of those being neighbours now) are what I would have previously though impossibly inconsiderate - routinely noisy to two or three in the morning. And the way people here seem to believe that they have some need to take up most of both sides of a footpath and try and force everyone else of - or is it just because I am white?

So yeah, it is a very inconsiderate society. But also I don't think that I have experienced anywhere else where people are so unhappy with their own country. Well, not anywhere else 'advanced', I have experienced it from Eastern Europeans, all sad at how their countries are economic basket cases, but mostly they were happy with other aspects of their societies. But in SG so many people keeping moaning to me about how they hate Singapore. The last cab driver I had spent the whole trip whinging about SG, and how Australia is such a better country, wouldn't listen to me trying to get in some good things about SG and some counter-points about AU.

So many people seem to be upset by living in a pressure cooker.

I haven't worked here yet, so I can't comment too much about the work pressures. Sure most people work to after six, but they don't start till ten. Shops are open from ten to nine, so if you are running your own business then you have long hours; but that is true for independent businesses everywhere. Then again, I worked from eight to six thirty in Oz; same hours more or less, and running a shop has lots of down time, whereas a contractor gets no down time - trust me, your clients always have work to load onto you.

I suppose that I am now seeing yet another side to Singapore.

I am not too sure what purpose this serves in the grand cosmic scheme.

No comments: